Housing Choice Voucher

The housing choice voucher program is a federal government program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the Housing Quality Standards (HQS) rent reasonableness requirements of the program. This includes single-family homes, townhouses, apartments and condos (association approval required) and is not limited to units located in Pompano Beach. The landlord retains private property rights, including management, tenant selection and maintenance. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) determines the rules and regulations for the Section 8 Program.

The demand for housing assistance often exceeds the resources available. Long waiting periods (i.e., two (2) or more years) are common and closing the list is required when there are more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future. HAPB has established local preference of employment for selecting applicants from our waiting list. To know your status on the HAPB waiting a written request must be submitted.

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the household’s total annual gross income, background screening, family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family's income limits are established by HUD. Median income levels are published by HUD and vary by location.

During the application process the family provides information on family composition (i.e., stated issued identification, birth certificates and social security cards, etc), assets and total household income. HAPB will verify this information and use it to determine program eligibility and the amount of the housing assistance payment. Once your name is reached on the waiting list and eligibility has been determined, HAPB will contact you for Orientation and issue a Housing Choice Voucher.

Is the ability of the family to move from the current housing agency's jurisdiction to another housing agency's jurisdiction. HUD pays the administering agency an administration fee to cover costs of running the program, including accepting and reviewing applications, recertifying participants, and inspecting the rental units for quality.

In order to "port" to another housing agency you must be a resident of HAPB at least one (1) year. If you decide you would like to move to another jurisdiction outside the HAPB jurisdiction, you should contact your HAPB Counselor and they will provide the necessary information and procedures.